National Graduate School of Engineering
Engineering graduate programs offer advanced specialized training in the various fields of engineering and aim primarily to provide opportunities for advancement in the field of engineering. They are designed to prepare engineers for effective participation and leadership in the country’s industrilization. Advanced materials are presented in the form of course work and research to develop in the students better understanding of, and greter skill in solving new and old engineering problems.
Engineering graduate programs offer advanced specialized training in the various fields of engineering and aim primarily to provide opportunities for advancement in the field of engineering. They are designed to prepare engineers for effective participation and leadership in the country’s industrialization. Advanced materials are presented in the form of course work and research to develop in the students better understanding of, and greater skill in solving new and old engineering problems.
- Accomplished application form through ngse.upd.edu.ph
- Letters of Recommendation (input email addresses of the referees)
- Official transcript of records of undergraduate and graduate work of all schools attended: one original transcript bearing the school seal and registrar’s signature and two photocopies. Certified English translations should also be submitted when necessary.
- For non-UP graduates, submit transfer credentials or honorable dismissal.
- PSA/NSO Birth Certificate: Original and Photocopy
- Three (3) recent passport size photographs
- A non-refundable application fee of PhP100.00 for Filipino citizens or PhP 200.00 for resident foreign applicants. Pay at the Cashier’s Office (behind PNB Bldg.), U.P. Campus, Diliman, Quezon City. For non-resident foreign applicants, send a check in the amount of US $ 20.00 payable to the “University of the Philippines”. (upload official receipt)
- Additional requirement for foreign applicants whose first language is not English: Certification of English language proficiency – Official Test of English as a Foreign Language score report. A score of at least 500 (paper-based), 173 (computer-based) or 61 (internet-based) in the TOEFL is required. (Educational Testing Service: http://www.ets.org)
1st Semester: from March to June (MSCE-Geotechnical only accepts applicants every first semester.)
2nd Semester: from September to December
Notification of Admission
Application status will be communicated through mail, email, and/or phone. Qualified applicants will receive letters of admission/acceptance, which include instructions for medical certification.
Foreign students who are accepted should communicate directly with the International Students Program, Office of Student Activities, Vinzon’s Hall Annex, University of the Philippines, 1101 Diliman, Quezon City regarding student visa and other requirements.
Qualified applicants, who for a valid reason can not enroll during the semester originally applied for, may apply for deferment of enrollment to the succeeding semester by writing to the College Secretary.
Once the medical certificate is submitted to the NGSE Office, the new student will receive a request for admission slip which should be presented to the Office of the University Registrar (OUR). The OUR will issue the new student a University Admission Slip for registration.
Qualified married female students, whose transcript of records is in their maiden names, must also submit a photocopy of Marriage Certificate, the original of which must be presented to the OUR for verification purposes.
Class Schedule and Study Load
Most classes are held between 6 to 9 p.m., Mondays to Fridays. A few classes are held during the day on weekdays and Saturdays.
Non-working students may enroll in a maximum of twelve (12) units of formal course work per semester. Students who have full-time employment are allowed to enroll in a maximum of six (6) units.
Tuition and Other Fees
Tuition fee – P 1,500.00/unit
AI & DS courses – P 4,500.00/unit
Miscellaneous – P 1,415.00/semester
Laboratory fee, if any – P 100-1,500.00/per subject
Student Fund – P 46.50/per semester
Entrance Fee (new students only) – P 30.00
Deposit Fee (new students only) – P 100.00
Photo-ID (new students only) – P 130.00
Education Development Fee (Foreign students only)
Non-Resident – $500.00 per semester
Resident – $250.00 per semester
Number of Units
The master’s degree may be obtained through either the thesis or non-thesis option. Below are the minimum requirements for most MS/ME degrees.
To qualify for the doctoral degree, a student must complete a minimum of twenty-four (24) units of graduate courses if he has a master’s degree, or a minimum of forty-five (45) units if he has a bachelor’s degree.
A student must maintain a Cumulative Weighted Average Grade (CWAG) of 2.0 or better for all courses passed and accepted for credit towards the degree.
A student shall be disqualified from the master’s program if he:
– fails to meet the CWAG corresponding to the number of units indicated below:
|CWAG||No. of Units|
|2.15||13 to 18|
|2.06||19 and above|
|2.00||All required courses for the degree|
In case a student fails to meet the required CWAG of 2.00, he may be allowed to take additional courses not exceeding nine (9) units to improve his CWAG, subject to the approval of his adviser. No course previously passed shall be repeated for this purpose.
– obtains a grade lower than 3.0 in six (6) or more units of graduate courses.
A doctoral student must maintain a Cumulative Weighted Average Grade (CWAG) of 1.75 or better in all the courses in his program of study.
Other Requirements for the Degree
- A Master’s student under the thesis option must successfully defend a Master’s Thesis and submit at least five bound and certified copies of the approved Master’s Thesis.
- A Master’s student under the non-thesis option must pass the Master’s Comprehensive Examination.
- A Doctoral student must pass the doctoral qualifying examination after passing the core, specialty, applied mathematics, and elective courses; and submit a doctoral dissertation based on an independent and original research in the chosen field and successfully pass the oral dissertation defense. At least five hard bound and certified copies of the approved doctoral dissertation must also be submitted.
The time limit for completion of all degree requirements is computed from the start of first enrollment and includes all leaves of absence from the program.
Master’s – Five (5) years
Doctoral – Six (6) years for those who enter the program with a master’s degree in the same field – Eight (8) years for those who enter the program with a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in an unrelated discipline.
Meritorious cases, however, may be granted extensions beyond the maximum residence period for a period not exceeding one (1) calendar year at a time but in no case totaling more than five (5) years, provided the student shall take three (3) additional units of graduate courses during the extension period for every two (2) years of extension or a fraction thereof.
One-Year Residence Before Graduation
The student must be officially enrolled in residence at least one (1) academic year prior to the conferment of any degree
Engineering Research and Development for Technology
The ERDT is a consortium of eight-member universities in the Philippines that offer mature Master’s and doctoral degrees in various engineering fields. The consortium is constituted by:
- Ateneo de Manila University (ADMU)
- Central Luzon State University (CLSU)
- De La Salle University (DLSU)
- Mapua Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Mindanao State University – Iligan Institute of Technology (MSU-IIT)
- University of the Philippines (U.P.) Diliman
- U.P. Los Baños and University of San Carlos (USC)
The ERDT is created to deliver high impact researches aligned with the country’s National Science and Technology Plan (NSTP) and the Medium-Term Development Plan (MTDP), to attain a critical mass of MS and PhD graduates, to upgrade the qualifications of practicing engineers, and to develop a culture of Research and Development (R&D).